The Rupert Neve Designs 542 is a 'True Tape' emulator and line driver in API 500 format. The unit recreates the unique sound of analog tape through the circuit simulation of a tape drive. When this emulation is not used, the 542 can be used as a catch-up amplifier for line signals in the range of +12 to -12 dB.The Portico 542 is capable of reproducing the warm sound known from an analog tape. This can eliminate the often cold sound of a digital signal. It is equipped with a trim control, a "tape saturation control", a switch of the tape characteristic from 15lPS to 30lPS and a blend control that can be continuously adjusted between pre- and post-tape. In addition, the Neve-typical Silk function (Silk Red and Silk Blue) has been integrated into the 542, the intensity of which is infinitely variable via the Texture pot.The 542 not only finds optimal use in mixdown or mastering. Like other RND products, the 542 uses a new input transformer that can handle high signal levels with extremely low distortion, and an output transformer that eliminates critical crossover distortion.
- Tape saturation emulator
- Trim control (+/-12dB pre-tape level control)
- Tape saturation effect continuously adjustable
- Silk function (Silk Red & Silk Blue) continuously adjustable
- Blend potentiometer for adjusting the signal between pre- and post-tape
- Tape characteristic switchable between 15lPS and 30lPS
- Drive meter shows the signal level at the "recording head