With the Boomstar, STUDIO ELECTRONICS returns to the raw power and purity of non-programmable discrete analogue signals that began with the Midimoog in 1985. The Boomstar MKII is the ultimate desktop analogue synthesizer for those who remember the analogue synth sounds that changed music, and for those who still want to discover that electric magic - via MIDI or CV, of course. The Boomstar's alchemy of combinable waveform oscillations - with sub, OSC1-OSC2 sync filter and oscillator Xmod, ring mod, 5 revered filter types, extensive modulation routing easily accomplished via its 18+ toggle switches, and a flexible software LFO - make sound and music design a daring pleasure. Hardware envelopes with invert, loop, drone and master modes provide flexible, funky snap and shift.
Quick-turning potentiometers on the bottom for hardware ring mod, noise, feedback (now diode-based for more complex and interesting harmonic distortion) and VCO levels make important sound changes immediate and indispensable; the adjacent overdrive switch provides powerful boost, warmth and sharpness. More than 29 potentiometers provide a fluid, intuitive groove for sweeping sweeps and subtle tonal variations: Whip them into shape suddenly and rhythmically, or let the changes flow. Expect cleaner levels in and out of the 6 MKII filter models for 2018:
8106-ripping Jupiter-Juno Roland® magic
So why not leave the synthesizer via the patch point of external input processing: Connect rhythm and colour with non-native oscillations and pulses and move in, around and through them.
- Redesigned to clarify function and signal flow and improve visual and tactile support.
- Repolarised for a cleaner sound - more headroom for the amplifier; browning-out is delayed
- Diode-based feedback circuitry for wider dynamic range and higher harmonic distortion content
- Exotic and robust hand-selected and hand-crafted wooden/microwood sides: bocote, marblewood and pau ferro
- Lined, fluted knobs and lined quick-turn top and bottom pot shafts for more precise programming and patch recall
- Potis fitted with metal shafts throughout, except for the envelopes, where the conical plastic shafts are reinforced with an additional bushing