With no reeds to blow, no keys to press, and no strings to pluck, the Theremin defies all expectations of a musical instrument. Instead, it is played in a way that seems to conjure music from the ether, simply by moving the body near the instrument. Throughout history, performers have achieved unprecedented expressiveness by mastering this unique connection between the hands, the body, the environment, and the instrument.
The elegant simplicity of the theremin and its unparalleled expressiveness have fueled Bob Moog's lifelong love of the instrument - from building his first theremin at age 14 to completing his final theremin design at age 70. Today, the Etherwave Theremin continues that legacy with a design refined for the modern theremin performer.
Combining analog playability with unprecedented performance potential, Moog's Etherwave Theremin offers a precise five-octave pitch range and balanced note spacing for highly sophisticated playability. Updated analog electronics have been used to realize Bob Moog's classic theremin circuit design while enhancing bass response in the lower registers.
The refined cabinet is constructed of hand-finished hardwood and two quick-release coated brass antennas. In addition, rear I/O ports and a removable mic stand adapter provide quick setup on the go.
Easy-access front panel controls allow for impromptu changes in timbre, and the antennas can be adjusted to suit each player and their environment (advanced users can go a step further via the calibration panel on the top of the instrument). A front panel headphone output - with its own volume control - is equipped with an additional mute button that mutes the main audio output, while the headphone output remains active for private timbre and tuning adjustments.
In addition, the Etherwave Theremin can be directly connected to other modular, semi-modular and Eurorack synthesizer systems, connecting them via CV (control voltage). Control your synthesizers or effects while playing the Theremin by connecting the Etherwave Theremin's 3.5mm Pitch CV, Volume CV and Gate CV jacks for a whole new performance experience. The Etherwave Theremin offers both novice and professional players exceptional sound, playability and control to take your sound to new dimensions.
- Sound source: Analog heterodyning oscillator
- Sound modifier: Analog VCA
- Pitch Antenna: Power control of frequency range from about 0 Hz to 4.2 kHz, based on proximity to hand
- Volume antenna: power control of the dynamic range of over 70 dB, based on proximity to the hand
- Mute button: On: Audio Out muted; Phones Out active
- Off: All outputs active
- Switch jack: 1/4" jack for foot switch (not included)
- Controls the mute function
- Power supply: LED indicator (on front panel); button (on rear panel)
- Headphones: 1/4" output jack
- Audio Out: 1/4" audio output jack
- CV Out: 3.5mm jacks for Volume CV Out, Pitch CV Out, Gate CV Out
- Power supply: Style: wall adapter; barrel connector; center pin positive
- Input: 100 - 240VAC; 50 Hz - 60 Hz
- Output: +12VDC; 2A
- Package contents: Etherwave Theremin, detachable pitch antenna, detachable volume antenna, calibration tool, power plug, quickstart guide, user manual, product catalog, registration card
- Dimensions (with antennas): 47.58 x 17.72 x 16.74 cm
- Weight: 2.85 kg
LINE OUT L/R - jack 6.3mm
Sounds & Rhythms