Originally conceived by Fender as an alternative to the much more famous Precision Bass, which was about a decade older, in terms of sound variety, playability and ergonomics, the Fender Jazz Bass was to become one of the two most popular bass models in the history of electrified stringed instruments after its market launch in 1960. Since the competition never sleeps and Fender is keen to constantly adapt the product range to the needs of the time, the time-honoured jazz bass has received an all-round update in the course of the American Elite series.
The successor to the popular Deluxe series looks like a 70s jazz bass: the maple fingerboard is bound in black, which perfectly matches the black block inlays and the black finish of the body. The profile of the neck is characterised by a high degree of playability, the compound finish of the neck changes from a modern C-finish in the lower registers to a flat D in the higher registers, also the fretboard radius changes from 9.5 to 14 inches (241 mm - 356 mm). The Fender Noiseless Singecoils don't show any blues, the neck pickup gives you a fat and warm Prezi-like sound, while the bridge pickup sings in the best Jaco manner. The three-band tone control allows for smooth mixing of both pickups and helps to shape their signals in any direction. An 18-volt preamp is used for sufficient headroom.
The instrument is a coherent piece of Fender design in high quality made in the USA and comes in a high-quality hard shell case with TSA lock.
- Body: alder
- Neck: maple; five screws
- Neck profile: compound; C to D
- Fingerboard: maple
- Inlays: black block inlays
- Body: 21x medium jumbo
- Scale: 864 mm
- Pickups: 2x 4th Generation Noiseless Singlecoil
- Controls: Volume; Balance; Bass Boost/ Cut; Mid Boost/ Cut; Treble Boost/ Cut; Tone (passive); Two-way switch active/ passive
- Hardware colour: Nickel/ Chrome
- Bridge: HiMass Vintage (string-through-body or topload); with four single riders
- Mechanics: Fender "F" Light-Weight Vintage paddle tuners with tapered axles
- Finish: Black
- Includes case
- Made in USA